We celebrate Great British Game Week with a selection of recipes from chefs appearing at The Game Fair. First up is Pheasant Dan Dan Noodles by Juanita Hennesey.
DAN DAN SAUCE
- 3 tbsps. smooth peanut butter
- 1 ½ tbsp. sesame oil
- 2 tsps. sugar
- 3 tbsp. rice vinegar
- 3 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. Szechuan peppercorns, ground lightly in pestle and mortar
- 3 tsp. chilli oil (or generous pinch of dry chilli flakes and 3 tsp. olive oil)
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 60 ml chicken stock (or water)
- 3 tbsp. groundnut oil
- 375g pheasant mince
- 2 tbsp. hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- five spice powder
- ½ tsp. dried chilli flakes
- Pinch of salt
- Drizzle of sesame oil
NOODLES & VEG
- 300g dried egg noodles noodles
- 1 small bunch leafy greens (spinach, bok choy, cabbage)
- Handful of roasted peanuts (chopped)
- 5 spring onions, finely chopped (optional)
- In a small mixing bowl add the peanut butter, sesame oil and rice vinegar and mix. Add the rest of the ingredients and whisk again until well combined. Set aside.
- In a pan add he and brown the ground pheasant. Add the hoisin sauce, soy sauce and five spice powder and chilli flakes. Cook until all the liquid has evaporated, set aside and keep warm.
- Just before serving drizzle with a little bit of sesame oil and stir to coat the meat.
NOODLES & VEG
- Cook the noodles as per the pack instructions. Once cooked remove with tongs and place in the bowl with the Dan Dan sauce. Stir to coat the noodles. Keep the noodle water in the pan and on the heat for your greens.
- Finely slice your greens and blanch for 1-2 mins over a med/high heat in the noodle water. Drain.
- Roast the peanuts in a dry frying pan over a medium heat. Be sure to keep an eye on these as they will quickly catch and burn. Once toasty finely chop or use a pestle and mortar to lightly crush.
- Finely chop the spring onions, discarding the tougher green stalks at the top.
- Place the noodles in a bowl, then top with the greens, followed by the pheasant and finally the crushed peanuts and chopped spring onions (if using). Enjoy!